ANIMALS and the ENVIRONMENT: A mystery related to animals or the environment.
- Missing Manatee by Cynthia DeFelice
- Who Really Killed the Cock Robin by Jean Craighead George
- Scat by Carl Hiaasen
- Out of the Deep by Gloria Skurzynski
CAPERS: Mysteries with humor or a humorous twist on criminal heists.
- Science Fair by Dave Barry
- The Worst Night Ever by Dave Barry
- Skink No Surrender by Carl Hiaasen
- Zoobreak by Gordon Korman
DETECTIVE STORIES: Classic-style mysteries featuring a detective investigating a crime.
- The World's Greatest Detective by Caroline Carlson
- Ruby Redford (series) by Lauren Child
- Enola Holmes (series) by Nancy Springer
- Poison is Not Polite by Robin Stevens
DISABILITY: Mysteries featuring a detective or investigator with a disablity.
- London Eye Mystery by Siobhan Dowd
- Dovey Coe by Frances O'Roark Dowell
- Silent to the Bone by E. L. Konigsburg
- From Charlie's Point of View by Richard Scrimger
ESPIONAGE: International spy stories.
- Ettiquette & Espionage by Gail Carriger
- I'd Love to Tell You But Then I'd Have to Kill You by Ally Carter
- The Spy Princess by Sherwood Smith
- Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein
FURRY SLEUTH: Animals are the protagonists and solving the mysteries in these stories.
- Malcolm at Midnight by W. H. Beck
- Time Stops for No Mouse by Michael Hoeye
HISTORICAL: Mystery + Historical Fiction = Historical Mystery.
- Chains by Laurie Halse Anderson
- Isabel Feeney, Star Reporter by Beth Fantaskey
- The Roman Mysteries (series) by Caroline Lawrence
KIDNAPPING and DISAPPEARANCES: The mystery centers around locating a missing person.
- I Am Princess X by Cherie Priest
- A Hitch at the Fairmont by Jim Averbeck
- Find Me by Romily Bernard
KID SLEUTHS: The detectives are kids or teens.
- Echo Fall (series) by Peter Abrahams
- The Genius Files (series) by Dan Gutman
- Sammy Keyes (series) by Wendelin Van Draanen
MEDICAL MYSTERIES: Instead of solving a crime, the investigators must solve a mystery related to a strange illness.
- Code Orange by Caroline Cooney
- The Great Trouble by Deborah Hopkinson
PARANORMAL MYSTERIES: Mystery stories with a supernatural element, including psychic detectives.
- Gilda Joyce (series) by Jennifer Allison
- Theodosia (series) by R. L. LaFevers
- Jackaby (series) by William Ritter
SPORTS: A mystery related to sports.
- Change-Up: Mystery at the World Series by John Feinstein
- Last Shot: A Final Four Mystery by John Feinstein
- Rivals by Tim Green
SUSPENSE: A high-stakes mystery with action and a ticking clock; the protagonist is often the one being pursued.
- Shadowlands by Kate Brian
- Endangered by Lamar Giles
- The Girl Who Was Supposed to Die by April Henry
THRILLERS: A suspense mystery with a wider—often international—scope and more action.
- The Naturals by Jennifer Lynn Barnes
- Alex Rider (series) by Anthony Horowitz
- STORM: The Infinity Code by E. L. Young